Tuesday, July 26, 2011

OG British line, the prepainted units

Well. I did treat myself to some "no Historicon this year" figures, but given commitments to Czar Barry and the 2012 Borodino painting schedule, they were the OG '2nd Edition' pre-painted 1815 British line.  I picked up a box each of the command, center and flank companies in both blue and yellow facings.

I was very happy with the quality, both of the painting (let's face it, better than I can do) and the packaging. Of course, the service was great also, ....I've been an army member for years, always ordering two to four times a year and getting exactly what I ordered and quickly delivered as well.  But, you're probably here for the photos:

 The first photo shows the command pack, notice the Elmer's glue is still wet!


Closer even view.  Other unit, notice NCO's sponsoon posed slightly different from first unit.
Finally,an entire unit of 18.  There are actually two units, the only difference is the standard bearers and sergeants are in slightly different poses.   Oh, and I have a pair of units in blue facings! ;-)    The flags are downloads from Warflags.com ;  great site, free flags!  These in particular are in the historical brigade in the June 1815 OOB  so you can be sure to get the correct unit colors for the various units with a particular color facing.  Pack's and Kempt's Brigades are started.

Hopefully this week I will get the basing done on these fellows and the Chassuers a Cheval.

New Cavalry Units painted French Chassuers a Cheval 1st and 6th Reg.

Did I mention I have several projects going on at once?  As part of building toward a game based on 1815's Quatre Bras in 2015, I have been slowly assembling and painting the Dutch-Belgian, British, Brunswick, Nassau and Hanoverian troops involved. 

As a part of this project, I decided also to paint up Pire's command for the French, the  light cavalry that was such a nasty surprise to so many of the allied foot units in the high corn on the battlefield.  Almost a year ago I received in a trade a unit of Cheveau-Leger Lanciers, destined to be the nucleus of the command, and decided to paint up the remaining  units, starting with the Chassuers A Cheval regiments.

The castings are from Sash and Saber, good looking tin soldiers even in the unpainted form.  The two units in Pire's comamnd are the 1st and the 6th regiments, in scarlet and yellow facings respectively. 

The 6th on its unfinished bases.

And the 1st as well. Oops, I have a little flash clean up on the officer's mount's legs to do as well, I see. 

These units will also do double duty as part of our map campaign troops. Didn't want anyone thinking they'd be unused for almost four years!  Behind the Chassuers in the background is another part of the Quatre Bras project, but that is for another entry.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Russian units for Borodino 2012 project.

I have committed to several units of infantry and cavalry for our 'Hofkrieg Rats" summer 2012 Borodino scenario.  Since Barry Frandsen  (see Czar Barry  blog) and Peter Anderson (Blunders on the Danube blog) are hard at work on units for this green and blue table-thumper come next summer, I thought I'd bring them and all of you photos of the most recent units hitting the table top.

The grenadiers are OG 2nd edition, I finished these up in mid June.  Nice castings, easy to paint, ready to play n the practice rounds of the scenarios for next H-Con and whatever else we can dream up for them.

These are painted up with standards for the Moscow and Kiev Grenadier Regiments, from a brigade in the 1812 2nd grenadier Division.

Next up are the OG line troops in caps, a departure from the kiwer topped fellows, as well as sporting thier nifty brown overcoats.  Not too hard to paint, I must confess there is another of these regiments on the to be painted queue so keep checking to see how long it takes to get them done!  Kursk IR, from the 1812 10th Division, brigaded with the Jaroslav IR.

Here is a shot of the 10th Division units painted as of July 2011. I still have to complete the Jager Regiments. 

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

First Post -Austrian Artillery battery in 28mm

The first Austrian battery I have procured in 40 years of war gaming.  I wanted to add an Advance Guard Division to our"Hofkrieg Rats" forces, so I needed among other elements at least one battery of artillery.  I chose the Sash and Saber  crew and guns for the deployed firing line pose and have some of the needed figures from Old Glory for the limbered stands.   I still 'need ' a gun model suitable to seat the riders on the 'sausage seat' of the limbered version. That, and painting the limber team and works.  

The figures painted up nicely, I am happy with the quality of the cannon as well. The cannons are too large for the OG 'sausage rider' casting, hence the need for another bag of lead!  Let's hope the battery shoots straight!