Sunday, March 15, 2015

In anticipation of April

We (local gamers) in the CT area will be running a 'campaign in a day for the 1815 campaign using the 'Snappy Nappy' rules, as we did two years ago.

Since the required troops dovetails with the units I have been painting for the Quatre Bras scenario, I thought I'd expand on a few units to fill in the 'cavalry gap' for 1815.

Here are two stands of Prussian Hussars, straight from the Silesian province of Prussia.  Dressed in the brown  jacket with yellow facings of the 2nd Silesian Hussars, they will help fill in the need for light cavalry in the Prussian army to be fielded.

 All ready to go, maybe a bit heavy on the brown ink final coat

In contrast, the next two stands are each from a different regiment of the Dutch Belgian Heavy cavalry establishment of 1815.  The First up is the 1st (Dutch) Carbineers.  An older style bicorne and yellow facings are the characteristics of this unit.  All the Carbineer units wore a dark blue coat, here done in delta ceramcoat 'opaque blue' with the facings from artist tube acrylics. The horses are done in the three step base-stain-wash process I have been using for some time now.

The first are to the left in the photo.

The other heavy cavalry stand represents the 2nd (Belgian) Carbineers, who sport a crested helmet, red epaulettes  and red facings on a dark blue coat. The red is from Blick art supplies acrylic range, 'deep red' and the blue is again the opaque blue.  The silver on the helmet is from a artist tube acrylic. 

The 2nd are to the front in this photo.

Beware the Ides of March- the move to plastic

With the availability of so many nice plastic kits for 28mm Napoleonics I decided to take the plunge and purchase some for the next phase of collecting, the light cavalry of the Anglo-Allied Army in the 1815 campaign.  The master plan is to obtain some of the Light Dragoon kits, when available as well.

The kits need no introduction as they have been around a couple of years, but I thought you might enjoy my halting attempts to transform grey plastic into table ready units.

Here is the first view, I managed to put together the horses and a few of the riders as I wait for the temperatures around here to climb into the 50's so I can spray the primer on them.

The figures and horses fit well, there are three choices of headgear for the troops.  This allows any of the units dressed as Huzzars in the British army in the Peninsula or 1815 campaign to be modeled.  More on which units I picked, later.