Up next...Galactic Knights


 

The yeoman called out, "Captain, Sir, there is a rabbit  hole, I mean wormhole ahead."

 Since my buddy Roger has some serious PT (physical therapy, nothing to do with the Patrol Torpedo boats) scheduled for Fridays--as he calls it " They get here at 11:30 and I go to bed before 1." 

 Seemed like a good time to introduce Greg to galactic Knights. Despite the number of games played, we never sat down to try these rules out. That changed last Friday, Greg and I played with six ships each, ranging from star bomber up to cruiser. His force roughly handled mine...I will need to rethink angles in a game like below.

                                 

I have some ships in the Terran, Aquarian fleets, a few in both the Avarian and Entomolian fleets.

 My largest force is the Aquarian... 

Here are the cruisers of the 'Green Hell' squadron.

It was a full afternoon, explaining the rules, going over the background of  the various fleets. We played a ship-centric game, both using Terran ships-the background gives 'reasons' each fleet could fight like fleets.  

Suffice it to say Greg left   with the ships that he played with, and a look on his face that has translated to ordering the rules and some extra ships.  Since Friday.  Now there will be a shift in projected games for March as more ships races and fluff get added to the mix'. Roger's large Carnivore fleet and my Aquarians will make an appearance to make life challenging to the new Terrans in town.  When Roger was told of the game and Greg's reaction, 'another rabbit hole' was part of his response. 

Me? a small order to replace some Terran ships, the Entomolian rules and maybe a st of the starbase components. At least that is the plan.  Rabbit hole, indeed.

Comments

But perhaps only a small rabbit hole?
Tony Adams said…
Nothing wrong with rabbit holes....they lead to new adventures...Regards
pancerni said…
Small rabbit hole, but fun. I had an epiphany about tying in Stargrave, Galactic Knights, and Silent Death. Should make my life easier. At least mapping has a set of assumptions.
rross said…
I blame Stew and his Star Trek obsession! Looks like you will be having fun with games of a different stripe than originally planned, Joe!
pancerni said…
Ohhh no, Stew and Star Trek are innocents here. Honestly the chance to introduce Greg to the Galactic Knights game was a good choice. It could have been a 'one and done ' if he didn't like it, but the game as it stands is simple but engaging.

Last month I cataloged the projects or games ( rules sets ) I personally wanted to play this year. I came up with 24 separate gems. Four were 'space' oriented...Stargrave, Silent Death, Galactic Knights, and Federated Space.

Some projects are ongoing, like the Imagination campaign, others are 'play 3 linked scenarios of IHMN ( In Her Majesties Name). Galactic Knights is one that will generate at least six games with a possible campaign background.

The biggest rabbit hole is coming. Some hukka smoking rabbit is to blame. Go ask Alice, she's the one 10 feet tall, can't miss her.
Gonsalvo said…
I do like Galactic Knight s myself as well, and as you know, I have very substantial fleets! My smallest - the Aquarians! We'll have to get a game in sometime!
pancerni said…
We should have a game, perhaps after Havoc! My collection is nowhere near yours, and tactically limited to Battle Cruisers and smaller.

Still, could gin up a good game anyway.
Gonsalvo said…
I have only a few Dreadnoughts for any of my fleets; the smaller ships tend to give better games anyway, I think! :-)
pancerni said…
I agree on the smaller ships. A squadron of destroyers, and one of cruisers has more potential than two dreads pummeling away at each other. Fighters and star bombers can always be used for balance.

Popular Posts