French Forces for FPW

This is a do over, somehow a complete blog entry got scrambled.

 

Once upon a time, over 25 years ago, I put my FPW collections on the shelf. There were several great strategic board games out on the subject, but no tactical, brigade command or lower miniature games that interested me.  It had always been a niche game,especially in our local area.   Fast forward, with the Perry's releases and promises of more to come, the availability of Blackpowder 2 ed to stretch to the conflict as a tactical ruleset, and quite frankly the additional gamers in the area willing to table-top with miniatures make it feasible for me to dust off some old soldiers.


So, from the catalogues of Foundry, Sussex ( OOP) and Falcon US (OOP), I give for your review, 'the French.'

Yes, you recognize these fellows from a post back around March when I showed some Prussians. Foundry Sailors from the Period.  The officer is my favorite in the range, such a cocky pose.


4 eighteen man line battalions. Sussex figures with Foundry officers.


 

A Legere unit, 18 strong, all Foundry figures.


Foundry officer and 11 Falcon US Zouaves. Rebasing is in order.


Also some cavalry units

Foundry dismounted Chassuers D'Afrique

The mounted castings.

Spahis, Falcon US figures.

The Chassuers and the Spahis will be given new basing, although they will remain singly mounted.


 

There will be mounted adversaries as this photo shows some period German Dragoons and light cavalry, both units to be rebased as well.

I will probably use these fellows and their German counterparts in some solo outings to learn Blackpowder's ins & outs. Having each unit representing a company I am intending to use some scenarios from the Grant WRG scenario books. That I bought new. Since I have everything, it is not a 'new' period for me. 


Comments

FPW is a terrific period to wargame. I have not made it yet to the 1870 conflict. I am still focused on the 1859 campaign.
rross said…
A nice little collection already Joe - yes FPW is looking like "the next big thing" (after WotR earlier this year) thanks to our friends the Perrys! I dont think I will bother - our "group" already has an abundance of Foundry figures for this era and Mark at 1866 and All That (a clue in the name of his blog!) is busy making plans for substantial additions to his already large collection! (The first boxes are en route as we speak!)
pancerni said…
I always viewed the 1870 campaign as the gateway drug to 1866, 1859,1864. I will have to hit your back posts to catch the action.
pancerni said…
I read Mark's recent 1870 posts with great interest. He did mention about a few boxes coming to him. In my defense, I am Prussian heavy right now compared to the French, especially weak in artillery for the French.
Gonsalvo said…
If not for the abysmal leadership on the French side, the FPW has a lot of potential. As far as artillery, surely your French need to be able to sing "La Mitrailleuse?"
pancerni said…
Certainly the leadership disparity could be modeled... or ignored, especially at the level of engagement I plan to use...Company. As to "La Mitrailleuse"You've heard my singing voice. It has not gotten better with age. Still against the Geneva convention for me to sing within 50 feet of a game table.
James Fisher said…
You seem to have a never-ending stream of beautifully painted troops that you can dust off Joe! These look sensational.
Regards, James
pancerni said…
Your FPW posts convinced me to drag them out. Now on to learning BP so to use them.

Popular Posts