April's end Frostgrave

 Mostly photos of Greg and I , the 28th's game.  The Worm Feeds in the main rule book was the scenario.  Greg used his kobold gang, lead by an animal trainer out of the Blood Pits book.  My warband was led by my brand new shiny Chronomancer wizard.


  Set up

The table as viewed from my side. The table was 30 inches on a side. Now something to remember, we were both rolling either 4 or 5 on the spell casting, or natural 20's.



At end of turn 1

Both warbands deployed into a wizard's group and an apprentice group,  Greg's forces just out of camera at top of photo.  You can see his speedy wolf near an objective marker, just behind a wall.


  At end of turn 2

With a treasure marker at each side, I feel pretty good, although Greg will probably get the center token.  Two treasures, no losses. Good show, easy points for advancement.

 

Stand off each with two treasure markers

Yes, Greg definitely gets the center marker. Can I slow him down, steal the marker?



The worm explodes up from its lair in a most inconvenient (for me) place 

 The worm rises up right behind my Wizard's group, almost munching on my thief with the treasure marker.  Good luck , I got the marker away with the thief unscathed. However, dealing with the worm took all my attention away from Greg's efforts, he secured he three treasure markers, and finished off the worm as it came upon his war band.

Great game, frustrating but very cinematic with the worm coming up out of the ground.


Comments

Is this game played on a hex grid or is this your base table?
rross said…
You have certainly got through a fair few Frostgrave scenarios by the look of it, Joe! The surprise monsters are always unpredictable in these games, but they add some entertainment!
Matt Crump said…
I do like the worm like monster figure 👍
pancerni said…
Matt, the worm is from Fantasy Flights "Mansions of Madness" game series. Both game and figure rank as one of my favorites.

Jonathan, I use the geo-hex to protect the dining table surface when there is a lot of terrain. That does result in the 12 inch hex pattern showing, but Frostgrave is a traditional ruler/tape measure game. I know a lot of rules sets toy with using hex or square measurements, Frostgrave is not one.

Keith, been through about a dozen scenarios in the main book. I have three of the supplements in hand, representing at least another 20 to go. This particular scenario has a lot of replay value. At our one a week consumption, we probably have enough scenarios to make it to year end without repetition. Curious as to your style of picking scenaios and playing the game.

Popular Posts