In defence of "PB & J's"

Ok, peanut butter can be almost sweet to not at all depending on the brand's added sugar (horrors, I know).

In the USA, a jam has fruit, sugar and a very small amount of fixer-pectin, usually. Really 'fancy' jams are called preserves.  

A jelly in the USA  has less actual fruit, more sugar and more pectin. Cheaper and more consistent than a jam or preserve. It does get confusing as most makers produce both styles in all the fruit flavors offered.

  I know jelly in the UK is more likely what we'd call gelatin here.  No way am I spreading that on my toast.

A sandwich made with either loses flavor and consistency very quickly, but rarely spoils after a few hours of heat.

The ultimate kid version, adds the spun marshmallow product, usually with 'fluff' in the product name.

  Think Stay-puff, but easily spreadable. 

Personal favorite version is made with toasted rye bread,  using blackberry jam. Goes good with hot black coffee.

The taste of most peanut butter brands is preferable that stuff called vegamite, at least to all the 'Yanks' in my acquaintance.

My opinions are my own. The differences in jelly, jam and preserves are not legal product terms, but everyone would know if a product was misrepresented.

Comments

I’m a “jam” man, myself, and prefer more “natural” peanut butter.
Tony Adams said…
Hi...What are "P B and J's "....The best thing to put on toast is marmalade....I assume you have this in America...if not you are really missing out. By the way I would not put jelly on toast either but then I hate peanut butter too....Regards
Ray Rousell said…
Never been keen on peanut butter, which is ridiculous because I love peanuts?
Ski said…
Jam-eating Georgia-boy here. Peanut butter deserves to be its own food group. Tony, Marmalade is an abomination. My mom's from England and loves the stuff, bless her heart. I agree that jelly is weird - it takes some real effort to spread it on bread with utterly destroying the bread.
Tony, you’re not from around here, are you?
rross said…
Well done on the exposition on different types of fruit spreads Joe! I do like peanut butter, the only issue is, not as a spread...I just eat it by the spoonful if I get the chance. Same with Nutella (a chocolate spread in case that's not a product name fanmiliar to you) I eat teaspoons full after the rest of the family has retired for the night ! Not now though, Vis my wife hides the peanut butter and now our kids are adults we don't buy Nutella...SHAME! I quite like marmalade too, and that, I do eat on toast.....I even made some from scratch using grapefruit once...bloody nice it was too!
Tony Adams said…
Ski....Marmalade is an acquired taste but no stranger than eating bacon with pancakes for breakfast ....now that is weird... Can someone please tell me what PB and J's are ???..Regards
Czar Barry said…
Grape Jelly or in an emergency apple jelly.
And I actually like vegamite, as long as it's only 4 or 5 times a year. Maybe that explains my taste in gaming eras?
Tony Adams said…
Just realised what PB and J's means....I was clearly overthinking ...now I feel dumb....Regards
Matt Crump said…
All this is irrelevant for me as toast equals Marmite for me and always has, always will…..not sure you have anything remotely similar a very English thing ?
pancerni said…
Keith, I share your method of ingesting peanut butter, nothing to hide, nutrionally sound,especially if you have to count carbs.

Tony, yeah, this is why I hate acronyms.

Matt, We can actually get Marmite in a local supermarket, have tasted it a long time ago on holiday in England. Having tried it, we have not gotten back to it. Different strokes.

Barry, I don't think anything can explain your era taste.
Czar Barry said…
LOL, Joe. I would protest, but then I couldn’t tell you about my latest plan to game “THE GREAT JELLY, JAM, VEGIMITE AND MARTIAN WAR OF 1929”. Considering the war caused the stock market crash of ’29 and ushered in the Great Depression it’s amazing more people don’t game it.

Popular Posts