Cold War gone hot-some resources

I have put up several posts showing toys and mentioning a few learning games in the era 1970-1985ish.

A few comments want to see more photos of the game on the 29th .  Due to an unfortunate bout of 'fix the photo' I have no more to show!

What I can do is stage the moves and show off the toys, if that is alright.  Soon to come, promise.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd show off part of the map for  the Landjut campaign as found in Combined Arms, a 1980's Cold War version of Command Decision.  I am using the map, background and OOB information to set scenes for when we use 7Days to the Rhine River.

Fresh from 1988, folks!

The map was one of three, the other two corresponded to the Jutland portion of Denmark. 
 
Finding the rule book was a happy event, the map and OoB always appealed to me as a setting....but the campaign was utterly beyond our reach to play at the time.  Older and wiser, I am simply sticking a pin in the map, calling out the nearest town, set up some interesting terrain and come up with forces. 
 
So I picked Hocherwestead as the approximate location that two company sized gruppes would move to, rescue a lost ammo convoy and attempt to snarl the Russian advance. 
 
 Last week I had Roger command one Leopard 1, a Raketen (ATGM) armed Jaguar, and two squads of infantry mounted in HS-30's.  Greg came up on the other flank with two Leopard 1's and two Marders carrying an infantry squad each.
 
I had 4 spetnatz squads spread out in two ambush positions, one recce BRDM moving down a central a road. . On the third turn an MRB, down to 6 BTR-60 carriers and a battalion of T-64's  , again at reduced strength (8 tanks) would tr to advance, secure a road leading off the opposite table edge. 

Some lucky shooting by me knocked out both Marders in Greg's gruppe, Roger was having a hard time hitting the Spetnatz holed up in the big village.  By the end of the 4th turn the gruppes' leaders decided to 'occupy their alternate position' (retreat).  Lots of game mechanic learning went on, and we've not yet added some of the chrome rules.
 






 

Comments

daveb said…
Look at all those hexes! Will you try for a campaign of some sort once you work out the kinks in the rules? Linked battles or otherwise?
pancerni said…
The book gives the order of battle for the Warsaw Pact's Baltic Front. That's akin to a couple Nato Corps. Nato;s OOB is about half that! The 'little' hexes work out to 72 inches on the table for 15mm. The map is 35 by 50 hexes per sheet. I like your idea of linked scenarios.My learning games will be based on an attack for 7 days, just to see the kind of punishment the two sides do to each other.
daveb said…
Yikes! Not so little. I suppose a hex is a table so it would be good for setting up table top battles and know where reinforcements were. Much more work than linked battles though...
Stew said…
Some old school gaming there by the looks of it. So old school it’s practically before my time. 😀.
But that’s a good way of doing a campaign.
rross said…
Looks like a pretty useful resource you were able to track down Joe and I look forward to the dramatised version of your recent game....shades of the Russians recreation of the meeting of the two arms of their envelopement of Stalingrad for the news reels!

Popular Posts