Another 'Another fine kettle of fish'

 The Friday Old Guys, consisting of Greg, Roger and myself tried out a very easy-going try at Stargrave, 

Deja vu , all over again. My crew.

What can I say, it's new to us. So if you have played more than a game or two, skip the next few paragraphs; if you have been wondering about trying them out, this may help.

The game is sci-fi with each player taking a crew of 10, including a Captain & First Mate.  The basic crewman (everyone not the Capt or First Mate gets a small amount of gear, the Captain and FM each get to load up.

We  (actually I did) picked the scenario called Data Vault to test our 'crews' in a first outing. I carefully marked out the grid of computer posts hiding data. Excellently marked out on butcher paper!

It was not my best representative terrain ever...but this was a test game, and the thought of using 25 free standing dominoes as towers was quickly dismissed. 

 You can just make out the locations of the pillars


With each of us pushing a different choice of captain, Roger picked a Rogue, Greg a Mystic and myself a Biomorph, we got stuck right in the action.  Our crews featured grenades, fllamethrowers and something called a 'Vor' blade. 

 Roger's Cap'n and other

 Roger's crew part 2


 Greg's crew, all printed figures!

Well, after Greg and I found out Roger, (who'd purchased the game less than 24 hours before,) gamely suggested he would play without any 'powers.'  This is like saying 'no' to using spells in D&D....only much worse.

We backed up and shuffled over a set of powers his Captain and First Mate as Rogues would have. And have someone who could access the data network....kinda' need that when you are raiding a short circuiting server farm.  

Any way, enough background. Let's see how my crew did, shall we?

The initial couple of shots suggested shooting was not very effective. It turned out to be grossly the wrong take...but not before I'd committed to trying 'smash and grab' as my overall tactic. My Captain got to the first possible data terminal and immediately failed to download it.  My crewman hacker  did also reach' but bobble on the first try. 

My gallant Captain and most of crew...First Mate off camera.  Dominoes represent data which can be 'looted.'


A turn or so later, Cap'n has acquired a loot counter, my troops closing in on a second one.


Near the end, each crew lost three or more members by now, firing at each other proved deadly.
 My Captain safely left the scene a turn or so ago. Sadly after unlocking the 'big data prize' in the center I had to give it up.

Like a lot of  skirmish style games, there is a campaign game within the rules.  Learn new skills, meet new people, play with new toys or learn new powers. It is fun.

This is just what we are looking for in a scifi skirmish game, plans are to revisit the game as we add our own fluff.







Comments

Ski said…
Nice post. The trouble I've had with Stargrave / Frostgrave is putting together a committed group of players to stick with a campaign for 5-6 games. I hope y'all can stick with it and turn this into a proper story.
Gonsalvo said…
Seems like a good first encounter with the rules!
pancerni said…
The game is definitely one where a story arc would generate the best experience. It will take awhile, we sandwich in a lot of games, but all three of us can probably get this done.
pancerni said…
Peter, yes, the rules are laid out well, have a helpful table of contents. We made very few errors, something encouraging for the first time out.

Popular Posts