Ahhh, October-Chainsaws, Silver Bayonet, new ideas to waste time on

 Well, the tree did fall on his yard.  The tree grew so close to the property line it is nearly impossible to tell 'whose' tree it is.  An abortive first attempt at cutting the fallen trunk up merely underlined the fact that the chainsaw had been used a lot in the three years previous.  I needed a new chain. Smoke and wood dust  were the clues given. Lots of smoke, finely ground wood dust.  Yep, very dull chain.

A trip to the dealer and $45 later I became the proud owner of two new blades.  The next day I rediscovered the joy in changing blades on my Skil wiz-bang.  Then off to my neighbor's backyard for half a dozen cuts ...his son is coming in the next week or so to help him finish and clean up. Then a quick clean up of the saw and some rattle can priming of projects.  

A long winded intro to this week's diversions.

Generosity knows no bounds

In a ramble one day I mentioned that I had no Pavlov's in service with my Russians, and it would be unlikely as I had painted up the unit three times already, each unit sold off in turn over 40 years.  My long suffering friend Roger  dropped  these off, along with the six raw castings in case I want more.  OG figures, Roger does not want to paint any more Russians either. 

Now, where is that bottle of Dark Green?

 

Limber for Polish artillery circa 1939.

Some one has to provide movement capability  for the 75mm guns of the light artillery regiments. Old Figure Arms &Artillery  team, sadly OOP. From the blurry past basement stash, painted well over 10 years ago.


 Three horse cart for Tchanka or other uses.

Finally, one of two three horse carts, this from the Lyzard's Grin range.  Twenty years old if a day. I love the fact that historical models don't become obsolescent  with each marketing turn around.

Show and tell, 7th October 

A very posh portal, one of Greg's finds on the web.  More 3D  goodness. 

Scary with the skulls and whirling energy, sure to be seen again.

Smaller but scarier still.

Not to be outdone, Roger showed us the latest in Daharan crowd control. Yep, the guillotine has made it to the imagination campaign. What madness will they deploy next?


Because you can never have enough.

Also, readying for the day we get back to the WW2 campaigns, 15mm Mark III's joining Roger's motorpool. Graustark's finest?


Finally, some Frostgrave folk put together from several of the boxes. 

Good for a lot of games coming up, no doubt. I think these are all from Roger's stable.

 

Finally, the game photos.

 

Scenario two Tower Keep serial (the Kennels)of the Carpathian expansion.  Suffice it to say I lucked out this day.  Got lucky on my sprint rolls, cleaned up three clues and ...suffered no casualties. Greg and Roger were not as lucky, the local hounds were on them early and consistently.  Did I mention the beasts were some sort of supernatural?

 

Early in game, Greg on left, I am bottom screen, Roger just out of camera, top of screen.

 

Magnificent shot of the English troop. Note the lack of monsters this time near me. 

I stayed compact in deployment except  for the two going after the 'clues' at the top of screen.

  

Rare shot of all three groups,

 Greg  (left) and Roger (top) are falling back. 

 

My lads are picking up the clues and also leaving this place. I have played a dozen games and have not yet completely warmed up to the rules. Personal taste on the mechanics. 


Well, scenario three, into the Torture Chamber, what fun!



 


Comments

Joe, I feel like I sat down to the TV and began changing channels in rapid succession. Your chainsaw lead caught me by surprise. Cutting with a dull saw is no good and dangerous.
pancerni said…
Jonathan,
Re: the chainsaw. I did embed the clues of a dull blade to look out for, and led by example in buying new chains. Any cutting tool must be sharp to be used safely. The cutting went much better with a sharp chain.

Sorry for the post's whiplash effect. So many little things in the week for a post. I suspect the next post will be smoother. It is in draft now.
caveadsum1471 said…
Nicely varied post and how good to have chums with spare Russian Napoleonic grenadiers!
Best Iain
rross said…
I have only used a chain saw once and suspect it was blunt or the chain was stretched - it was ok to start with but got harder and harder to use as the day progressed. I don't have any need to own one so that may well be my one and only experience of using the tool!
Lots of different gaming goodness and Show and Tell in this post Joe - and well done on the Silver Bullet win!
pancerni said…
Oh, the chain stretches (actually it comes loose from the bar) even under normal use. You must continually check and adjust tension or risk the chain breaking and whipsawing back at you. That would not be enjoyable.

Jonathan is correct in it being dangerous.

Glad you enjoyed the post. I believe a couple of the others coming up are at least as good.
pancerni said…
Iain ,
I am truly blessed by generous friends.
DeanM said…
The house we moved from a few years ago also had a tall pine tree that was in an easement between our house and the neighbors. We always worried it would topple over onto our roof. Great looking figures and games too!

Popular Posts