Paint the mdf process

 The Hartwell_Tavern build for the main building is complete.  Now paint on mdf is new to me.  Being cheap,  I wanted to be sure I don't run out of the paint I would use ; color matching  is not a skill of mine.  To add to my concern was the requirement not to obscure the laser etching. 

I decided to do a color test but first how to prime?  I decided to use gesso mainly because I could thin it to keep the details.....and I had plenty. The helpful download from Things in the Basement suggested gesso over rattle-can priming, so there is that too.  some w.i.p. photos:



The kitchen roof


Base pier of Concord Bridge on top, Kitchen roof below


Chimney piece.

I think the gesso works as a primer , does not overcome the etching/engraving if carefully applied. My technique for the colors needs some adjustment, I believe thinning the paint somewhat will help. More later.

Comments

rross said…
Looking good Joe - I might have been tempted to forego priming altogether and just use watered down acrylic colours, which would allow all the etching to show through.....
caveadsum1471 said…
Nice sample, it's a difficult balancing act I find with mdf to give a degree of texture whilst not losing the etched details that is ine of the reasons for getting it in the first place!
Best Iain
Stew said…
looks fine. I've used spray cans on MDF houses from Things From the Basement. if you spray from far away / lightly you don't obscure the laser etching.

Lawrence H said…
This is the bit I was looking forward to. Obscuring the etching is one of the biggest fears I have in painting mdf, but I hadn't though of using a primer. Looking good so far.
Gonsalvo said…
I have almost no experience painting MDF buildings myself, either, so it will be instructive to see how you proceed, Joe!
pancerni said…
Iain & Stu,
My experience is tracking with yours.

Keith, trying that on second day of playing. See the next post, maybe Friday.

Peter, The product is very good and the information on site has been spot on. The results are better than I had planned and less of a bother than I thought. The next report is almost a "how to."

Popular Posts