Too cold, too bad, two dropped games

 There's something wrong with the weather here.  It is acting like it is winter. Due to a series of unfortunate events both Friday and Saturday games were not played.  

This doesn't mean all activities stopped. 

My printer's working again.  After several weeks of frustrating attempts to get color from the printer, we finally left b&w Kansas and stepped into colorized Ozz.  I decided to use the opportunity of a resource denied for too long and did some printing.  

The set of maps for the Reisswitz version of KRIEGSPIEL is now safe in my binder.

 

Map page

 As is the delightful companion set of landscape sketches from Too Fat Lardies Dawn's and  Departures.  Both of these are recommended for the next project that you might have percolating.  

 

 Example of sketch

Moving things around in the basement of doom, I found the fighters from two factions of Galactic Knights  that need rebasing on the flight stands. 


Yes, the venerable Federation designs



Close up of a stand. Two posts rather than three. 


There below are the Entomolian fighters, beware the brown-green light fighters!




Of course some need paint.


Also some clean up on new to us rules resource material lead to nice copies, 'in living color,'  of cheat sheets for Rebels and Patriots.  



Last but not least, a hand sketched map of Roi-Tann,  aka the landlocked Blitzkreig minor country. This will lead to documenting subdivisions, a growth templat,
 

  Called 'Brown or Calaedia in some essays on Blitzkrieg.

Oh, and I have worked on the USAAF roster for the Blood Red Skies  campaign .  But that is not very photogenic,  so you'll have to wait on the AAR. Cheers!

 

 

Comments

Too bad about your cancelled games but looks like you were very productive.
Matt Crump said…
Nice a printing bonaza….my printer is so expensive to print stuff I try to avoid at all costs !
pancerni said…
Jonathan,
I was able to redirect my energy into some of my ongoing projects. I caught myself going down the rabbit hole on a few facets of the hobby I had skipped over in the last few months. The Battle Road project is going to be a big effort for me, and maintaining two "game days " a week will present some problems with my upcoming schedule. Needless to say, my lovely wife said I had the time for hobby activities slotted in, might as well be busy. Support like that, priceless.
pancerni said…
Matt,
After decades of being a HP stalwart for priters, the whole rent your ink scheme HP had gotten into pushed me to another solution. The final straw was replacement cartridges that rivaled the printer price yet only had ten pages of ink in them.

The Epson seriers of the Eco Tank was cheaper by a power of ten with no resulting loss of quality. There is something visceral in topping off a tank.

There is an appealing cheapness, buying only the CYM or black color needed.
I like filling and forgetting the printer except for checking the front gauges every so often, noting that there is still plenty of ink.

I don't know what you need in a printer, maybe the tank printers would help in the ink cost.
Paints are expensive but more fun than something prosaic like printer ink.
Lawrence H said…
It does look like you have been very productive Joe. Have you played or read through Rebels and Patriots yet, and what are your impressions?
Stew said…
bummer for canceled games. I hate when that happens. though it looks like you found some use of that time. 😁
pancerni said…
Stew,
although initially bummed, I realized what a dent I could make in some up in the air/neglected projects. All of which leads to more memorable games.
rross said…
Yeah, shame to miss games - as I know from personal experience this month, although not for weather related reasons!
As to printer costs, at least that is one advantage to still being employed - unrestricted access to a Ricoh laser printer in glorious Technocolor!
pancerni said…
Color laserprinter....now I am jealous!
pancerni said…
Lawrence,
The rules have been given a short read and a limited, defective first outing. They are different enough for a look in detail, so I will try to document likes/dislikes in an upcoming post.

I will say they look good for what I want, and if the local group agrees they will become the small scale skirmish "go to"set of rules.
Gonsalvo said…
Looks like you got a lot done! I sprung for a color laser printer several years back; wasn't really all that expensive with a discount from Staples; much less than they used to be, especially if you don't need industrial scale print runs!

Popular Posts