A little more painting done



 Been a busy week...some doctor's appointments, a couple under the weather days (not related to the doctors visits) and some organizing around the yard slowed down the painting until Thursday evening. 


I open with my first few forays using  the Army painter quick paints.  Armed with only the basic set I hopefully chose my battles well. The first figure I painted using the quick paints was from the AD1666 collection,  one of the Local Mafia faction known as Anthony. These figures ( I bought the plastic versions) are slimmer than typical wargaming figures and surface detail is subtle. Brown for the boots, red for the jacket, dark gray for the hair. 

Pistols, scabbard , base treatment will complete Anthony. Lots of animation.


Also the first of the 'demon ' models, mostly in quick paints orange,  red  and flesh. Perhaps my choice of colors could have been different. 

Hmm, too much white...in the shot, not enough differentiation on the succubus. 

Next up some Austrian Fast Artillery,  limber and drivers. Basecoat in GW fast shade white, with yellow from a liquitex acrylics bottle. The horse started as a light bay from three step process. The horse collars are done with the quick paints leather. 

Two more steps to get the horse color correct.

Yes, the battery will sport matched pairs in the traces. 'Es tut mir Lied.'

I will complete the harness with army painter quick 'leather brown. The next photo when they are completed and based.



Comments

rross said…
Nice work Joe, a little steady progress is a good way to tackle big numbers of figures.
And what is your impression of Army Painter contrast?
pancerni said…
Keith, thanks...you are correct. Once upon a time I stayed outside on a Saturday at the picnic table and painted 32 zaporasian cossack foot in six hours. That's never happening again! A few at a time gets me better detail and I feel better about the whole process.

Jonathan,
So far the paints perform as promised but are not panacea.I have only the 'basic set' as that was the only available when I went in the store. I have a pipe-dream about painting some French allies..Neuchatel, Chassuers D'Montagne maybe Isembourg. If I do more I certainly will post about it.
Overall, from what I see locally, blue coats (400 French line for QB) and brown horses (my friend Roger hated painting cav.) done wel so I guess it is a good thing to try.
I have some medium but know from initial trial and failure there must be a technique to mixing it I am unaware
Matt Crump said…
Nicely done progress is always good I haven’t managed any painting this week at all which is bad 😢
Tony Adams said…
Hi....The title of your post caught my eye initially....then I realised it was a spell check error !!!!! That said I am interested in the Army paints. Are they water based and if so how do they perform on metal figures ?? I still use the old Humbrol enamel paints...I have never quite been able to convince myself that water based paints would do well on metal. Very interested in your experience please...on these paints of course !!!! Regards.
pancerni said…
Matt, It will get better! Hopefully by next week!

Tony,
Yipes! changing that next! In answer to your paint inquiries. The Army Painter paints are all water based, thinning and brush cleaning are both with water.

I prime with the cheapest flat white paint I can find, then paint with Vallejo, GW, Reaper, Army Painter,craft paints like Ceram-coat,Folk Art, acrylics from Blick Art supply like Liquitex, Windsor Newton. They all stay on the figure.
I do not always spray with a matte varnish. It depends on the shine of the figure and the amount of handling it will get.
I painted over 2000 figures with humbrol in the 70's and 80's. I am closing in on that number with acrylics and can assure you it is possible to get the paint to stay on.
caveadsum1471 said…
Contrast paints look interesting, I've got yhe GW white version to try out on the next batch of Austrian line I prime, Austrian horse artillery look great, limbers are a way off for me but I would like to do them someday!
Best Iain
pancerni said…
Iain,
Austrian line would be a great place to start using the contrast pain. And horses.
TERSEDIA SLOT YANG GAMPANG MENANG LOH !
Dicoba HOKInya di BOLA PELANGI
WITHDRAW berapapun pasti DIBAYAR
Minimal DEPOSIT hanya 50rb
Minimal WD 50rb, yuk gabung sekarang juga !
Bisa ke Linknya langsung :
https://www,kingpelangi,net/
Daftar Langsung :
www,kingpelangi,net/?ref=109181
link nya tanda koma nya di ganti jadi tanda titik dulu ya
baru bisa login untuk daftar ??

Popular Posts